Friday, January 18, 2008

Blog Response #1

"Seniors Graduation Day" by R.L. Stine
(pg 1-27)


My impressions of the book so far, honestly, it's pretty boring. I'm not really an horror fan but I know I should be scared to read parts of the book. I have yet to feel chills or goosebumps through my body. When I first picked up the book I thought that maybe I'll be scared to even read the first chapter but I've read through the first for chapters and there still isn't an fast "heartbreaking" moment. I feel as if the parts that are suppose to be scary aren't scary simply because there isn't enough specific details. For example there's this one scene where one of the characters named Trisha is down the hallway in school screaming, the main character Josie hears her cry and ran down the hallway, what she saw was Trisha arms were cut off this evil spirit, I don't find anything scary about that, I feel like someone's more likely telling me the story other then me feeling like I'm actually apart of the story. Maybe if the author would of been more surprising and a little less forward I would of been a little frighten, say for instance "Josie was in the dark hallway, no one around, not knowing that anyone was around the corner. Josie was scared because she knew something wasn't right, out of no where she hears a scream, she looked around and say nobody there, then she heard the cry again but this time it was even louder as if the sound was getting closer, next thing you know she looked around the corner and she yelled and to here shocking surprise she sees Trisha standing there bleeding crying next to this evil spirit and as she moved a little bit closer she sees that Trisha was standing with her arms cut off." I think that before the author actually says what happen you should put the reader into a position where there just about on the edge of there sit. So my overall impression of the book, I don't think I'm going to like it very much.

3 comments:

Britt M said...

Very good sharne' but remember your really not suppose to qoute the story your suppose to discuss what happen's in it

$hakira M. said...

I like how you gave great examples of what was boring you and why you didnt think it was that scary. I also like the way you would feel if it was scary like getting goosebumps.

Mr. Malley said...

Sharne, great response. You make a good point and back it up. Keep up the good work. I'm not sure what Britt was taking issue with.