Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blog #3

As, I continue my research I kind of feel bad because alot of things I should of known about this heart defect I honestly don't especially the fact that I've gone through and will for the rest of my life go through this. I learned that the heart has a wall that separates the chambers on its left side from those on its right side, the wall is called a septum. The septum prevents blood from mixing between the two sides of the heart, which is what the hole is apart of, the septum. I also learned that the hole allows oxygen-rich blood to flow from the left ventricle to the right ventricle, the problem with this is the blood isn't suppose to flow into the right ventricle at all. The blood is suppose to originally flow into the aorta which is the main part that leads the blood into the body, but because that was blocked oxygen has a very difficult time getting through the body, which is the reason for the operation. Before the operation the right ventricle tend to sort swell up and causes it to thickened. I'm not sure that someone can survive this without the surgery but I'm sure without the surgery isn't a good thing. I'm hoping to find out more information such as, can you survive without getting the operation? And if so how difficult is it? What exactly happens to the heart if you was to wait to the surgery? Does the heart actually swell up? There's alot of questions I really want and need answered because I feel that it's very important for those who may go through this to know all the facts, not only for myself but for also my child, if I decide to have children, my child may inherit this and I need to be further aware of this condition.

No comments: