Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tetralogy of Fallot: My story

I became interested in this topic because this is something I was born with. When I was born the doctors were lead to believe that I simply just had what is called an heart "murmur" but as time when by and I began to get sick, in and out of the hospital for 2years which is when the doctors realized that it was more then just a heart "murmur" it was an heart defect. I was born with an cyanotic condition which is called Tetralogy of Fallot. This caused me to be very ill to the point where when I would cry I would instantly pass out, I ran out of breath easily so I wasn't able to play like a normal child . At the age of 2 & 1/2 I had my open heart surgery which was a success.

What I already know about Tetralogy of Fallot is that it's basically an hole in your heart that effects the lungs and my breathing. That's what caused me to pass out, short of breath. It also changed the normal flow of blood throughout the heart which when not enough blood is getting to the lungs it makes it difficult to get oxygen.

Growing up as a child with this disease was very difficult even after my surgery. As I began the healing process I still had alot of things I had to do so I wasn't living a normal toddler life. There was a time where I had to take medication and go to the heart doctor for an check up almost every month. I wasn't able to participate in rough sports nor do alot of running, but besides all of the problem I had to deal with I still was a happy child. I use to laugh alot and still to this day I still do. I use to get alot of enjoyment out of life by just laughing because I knew I was sick, that's one thing that I remember the doctors use to say about me is that I was so joyful and happy. I did have my days when I was just to myself, I did cry alot, I was in alot of pain.

Every single time even after have my surgery several years later the doctors still remind me of what happen to me. It use to bother me because I hated being reminded of what happen to me and how I was born. Now that I'm older and I'm mature I love thinking about that fact that I am so lucky to be alive. My family call me the miracle baby and I love that name. I feel as if I am an survivor because I was able to accomplished alot of things that the doctors said I wouldn't be able to do. The doctors told me that I would be on medication for the rest of my life. At the age of two the doctors took me off the medication. The doctors said I wouldn't be able to play any sports or do alot of running, I was an cheerleader for 6years. The doctors said I would have to visit for an check up every month for the rest of my life, I was told now that I'm older I only have to go at least once a year. Alot of things I was told growing up I was able to prove those doctors wrong, that's what makes me this strong person to day for the things I've been through in my life and I still can say that I'm happy and I have no complaints.

Sometimes I did wish that some things happen differently but some people weren't meant to be on this earth but I can honestly actually say that I was meant to be on this earth. Something could of easily went wrong in that hospital I basically lived in that hospital, scared to death that I wouldn't be able to one day go home, and still til this day I am petrified of going to the hospital, I'm scared going in the hospital and never going back home. When my parents have the suggestion of going to the hospital for something as simple as an x-ray I refuse to go, I have the fear of dying in the hospital because of my experiences of being in the hospital so much through out my life.

I do not know absolutely everything about this disease that's why I'm going to enjoy researching it because I would like to know whats exactly going on. The main questions I have is what exactly is blue baby? Which is another name for this disease, what causes this disease? Can this disease be cure? If so, how? Where does this disease come from? Can this disease be prevented? What are some other heart defects besides this one? And the big question is, what can be done to help mothers avoid heart defects in their babies?

No comments: